The Student News Site of Mentor High School

Cardinal Nation

Cardinal Nation

Cardinal Nation

Want to join MHS Investing Club?

Come learn strategies for a healthy financial future

Do you want to discover the secrets to building wealth? Want to unlock the powers of investing? Want to take control of your future and achieve financial freedom?

Come to Mentor High School’s Investing Club, which is back this year! Investing Club meets every Monday, after school from 2:30-3:15 p.m. in C206 and is supervised by Mr. Lohrey.

The great thing about Investing Club is that anyone can join, even if they have no knowledge about the financial markets whatsoever.

The primary focus of the group is to explore and dive into navigating the stock market. Many people find stocks to be intimidating or something they cannot explore until they are older, but Investing Club tries to break this harmful mindset.

Investing Club’s goal is to equip members at a young age to invest in stocks and emphasize that taking risks is essential to learn while it is still possible to recover, instead of making financial mistakes at an older age that can dramatically damage your future. 

“…You can make money without doing anything,” says Yehuai Lin, a sophomore member. “It’s like a glitch in the system.”

Members gain access to informational presentations that build on each other to provide members with an increasing bank of knowledge. The topics get increasingly more complex as the year progresses, but they are presented in a way that is easy to understand.

“Investing is a good pathway to understanding the basics of economics, and I think that the club serves as an excellent introduction to this resource,” says Aiden Maness, a sophomore, describing the benefits of Investing Club.

Divide annual rate of return by 72 to find how long it takes to double your money.

In addition, Investing Club focuses on experiential learning, with hands-on activities to make trading stocks more presentable and show members how building wealth through the markets is possible.

The group does this through simulated investing competitions. Participating in Investing Club’s stock market simulation competitions throughout the year helps exemplify that investing in stocks can be a fun experience, seeing how interesting it is to watch money grow without doing much work at all. Occasionally, Investing Club also gets advice from those with more experience, with college guest speakers who are currently majoring in business and finance. 

If you are interested in joining Mentor’s own Investing Club, come to C206 on Mondays, and take advantage of the unique opportunity of the group, learning to actively participate in financial markets and get ahead of your peers financially.