The Student News Site of Mentor High School

Cardinal Nation

Cardinal Nation

Cardinal Nation

Wait Until Dark

A continuation of Mentor Theater’s “Season of Suspense”
Noni Arndt

Mentor High School will be putting on their annual winter play on February 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the Fine Art Center. This year’s show will be “Wait Until Dark” written by Fredrick Knott and will be directed by Mr. John Greene. This is Mentor’s 100th season, and this year’s play is a horror/mystery show and a “must-see” for thriller lovers. The show has a promise to be a suspenseful performance. 

The play was written by Fredrick Knott and was shown on Broadway for the first time in 1966. Which later got a movie adaptation in 1967 starring Audrey Hepburn; this led her to get a Golden Globe and an Academy Award nomination for “Best Actress.” The movie itself got an award from Laurel Awards for “Top Drama.” Some would say it would be fitting to call this story a classic for theater and films. 

In “Wait Until Dark” a blind woman, Susy Hendrix, who is unknowingly being conned, becomes the prey of three con men who are looking for a certain valuable item that they believe is in her hands. With support from a young girl and her husband, Susy has to be clever to outsmart the criminals and stay alive.

This year’s winter play will surely be something to remember. The cast has put in a lot of hard work and is very excited to put on this show. Tickets can be purchased online. Be sure to get them fast because this performance has limited seating. The show will be slightly different from most shows here Mentor. Instead of enjoying the show from the audience, viewers will be seated onstage!

So much has gone into this show.

“I’m not worried about anything,” diretor John Greene says. “This show is going to be great”

The role of Susy Hendricks is played by senior Sydney Krammer.

“This show has been such a great experience,” Sydney says. “I had a great time.”

Acting alongside her is senior Josh Schmitt. Josh is currently serving as president of Mentor Theatre and will be playing Mike in the show.

“This show is really fun,” Josh says. “I’ve had a great time!”

Be sure to stay tuned for more upcoming theatre news!

Photo credit: Noni Arndt