Mentor Athletic Signing Day 2022

Three Mentor athletes got to publicly commit to the college of their choice after a successful career in Mentor High School athletics.

N/A

Three Mentor athletes got to publicly commit to the college of their choice

Mentor Athletic Signing Ceremony

Quinn Fuerst, Contributor

Three Mentor High School athletes recently signed to play spots at the collegiate level.

Signing day often features a ceremony when students make their commitment to play at their chosen school official. At the ceremony they sign their National Letters of Intent. This is the official agreement between the school and the athlete to play for their school.

Cardinal Nation had the opportunity to talk with one of the signees, cross country and track team member Josh Risko. Some of his accomplishments during his four years here at Mentor include being a two-time state qualifier in both indoor track and cross country. He is a one time qualifier in outdoor track, three-time all conference selection, All-Ohio indoor track team member, and News Herald 1st team member twice.

“I chose Bowling Green State University because they gave me an amazing chance to run at the Division 1 level for the next four years,” Risko says. “While I was there I was able to meet the team and coaching staff. I really enjoyed spending time with the guys on the Cross Country team and I thought I would fit in nicely. I also really like Coach Kelly and I think she will be able to take my talent to the next level. Bowling Green also has an amazing campus with a newly renovated Business Center, which was an important factor in my decision because I plan on majoring in Business. Overall, Bowling Green State University was a great fit for me and I can’t wait to be a part of the team next year.”  

The two other people who made their commitment official were Randy Saley and Connor Larick. Randy Saley is going to Walsh University for baseball but is a multi-sport athlete here at Mentor High School. He is a regional qualifier in track and field, state meet qualifier in indoor track, and district baseball champion.

Connor Larick is going to Mercyhurst for soccer. His accomplishments during his time here at Mentor include Team Defensive MVP for 2020 & 2021, 2nd Team All-GCC for 2021, and 2022 1st Team All-GCC. Cardinal Nation wants to congratulate all the athletes on signing to play at the next level.